Monday, June 29, 2009

Blogging: Amanda, Corie, and Tricia

Amanda Vargo:
Being here just for this one day has really affected my outlook already. Going to the orphanage was a new experience for me just knowing that there in a better place than in the hands of parents that cannot deal with or support them. The plane ride was not that bad, first time and I never got sick. The food is better than what people may think. I am eating it so it really is not that bad and that is coming from a picky eater. The experience to climb the stairs of the Devils Gate to glimpse a view of a great scenery was worth it. Shopping here is very cool and cheap.

Corie Hordijk:
Buenos dias amigas! The first two days have been amazing! Arriving through the gate at the airport was overwhelming and exciting. The heat was overpowering and there were hundreds of people waiting for the passengers to arrive. We feltfamous! Immediately culture shock hit. We drove to our town, Zacatecoluca and got to our hotel that was immersed in this crazy city! We ventured through the city and I felt like everyone was staring at me. Which they were; all in shock ofthe only blonde in town. I felt very helpless seeing the starving stray dogs and struggling peopleon the street. But as long as you do your part, that is giving enough. Day two was the best experience of my life! We went to an orphanage and met 140 beautiful, fun-loving kids who were there because of horrible circumstances. They get to live in a loving and safe environment. Playing with them was so joyful. They were so fascinated with us, it was great. We also drove through the long, windy roads jamming to our Spanish beats =) We got to a beautiful hiking spot and climbed to a beautiful, tranquil mountain top. It was so calming and beautiful! We climbed through rocks and felt the beauty of the world! I felt so happy and really started to understand the lives of the El Salvadorians and the little joyus in their lives. Even though they do not have much, their culture is so rich! I am excited to see what the rest of the week will bring!
Miss you all and I wish you were here to experience it with me! =) Love you so much!
PS. Mum! We must do more traveling like this, I know you would love it!
Peace! Corie.
Tricia Angle:
Hey, everyone! I cannot believe we are finally here and experiencing everything that El Salvador has to offer!It is impossible not to be excited about every little thing that happens, and I think we are all starting to realize how precious every little thing we take for granted really is. I can already feel myself becoming a different person, and it is all for the better. I am having a lot of fun, trying everything that I can, and wishing everyone could be here to share these experiences! I am going to keep these short, because you will all hear about and see pictures of everything we did when I get back, and who wants to ruin that surprise? ;)
Miss you and love you, Trish.

2 comments:

  1. Kevin sent us an e-mail saying:

    "After our exciting day, we spent some time after dinner reflecting on their impressions of the first day and a half. Everyone has already been deeply and positively affected by this experience and there was barely a dry eye from the leaders by the time that we were finished our discussion." Apart from all the other experiences you are having, I would have loved to have been there to hear/experience that get-together!

    Not only is this a life-changing experience for all the young adults, but how gratifying this must be for the group leaders to see how their efforts have manifested into this reality!

    This is the "Activity/Entertainment Committee" right? It seems that you guys don't have to do much to accomplish your task! Just keep writing to entertain all of us back at home!

    Corie, thanks Baby!
    The kitty-girls were in the kitchen all saturday night, waiting for you to come home. We love you! And again, I'm SO PROUD of you! Keep being YOU! XOXOXOXOX!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl.
    It sounds like you are really enjoing your self.
    We are so proud of you. Hope all of you stay safe and just remember you are making a difference, keep us posted. I look forward to reading these everyday.
    We miss and love
    Andrew, Crystal and Dominick

    ReplyDelete