Monday, June 29, 2009

Blogging- Ryan and the Presentations group (Kayla, Janet and Andrew)

Hello everybody, Ryan here, for the next couple days I will be posting messages for myself, Andrew, Kayla and Janet

From: Andrew Petheram, A.N. Myer
Hola everybody, the wait is over, we are here!!! On our trip to the retreat centre, I believe everybody experienced a culture shock. It is very different down here, it is hot, humid and the way everything is done is very different. So little means so much to the El Salvadoreans. Yesterday we went to an orphanage where we recieved a tour then time to play with the children. I found it amazing how those children loved us for the mere balloons, stickers and affection that we gave to them. If we had done the same back home, the children would only be looking for more. Following our trip to the orphanage, we had a beautiful drive through the mountains where we saw how many of the native people live. Following our beautiful drive we went to a tourist area where we hiked up the mountain to a viewing platform. We could see for what seemed like forever. It is amazing how nice and natural the beauty has been left, different from Niagara Falls. That is all for now...were doing great and this place is so different.

Ciao!
Andrew


From: Kayla Kuyvenhoven, Grimsby
Hi mommy! Hi Daddy! I miss you! I´m safe, so please stop worrying. If only you knew how I am feeling and what I have experienced, you would be okay, I promise :). We have not even been here 48 hours and I feel like I´m already changing. Today we visited an orphanage where the children taught me so much. They just wanted to be close; to be loved. Culture didn´t matter, appearance? Not a problem. The language barriers? Although it may have been frustrating at times, it was no big deal. They welcomed us with open arms...literally. Hugs and smiles all around, it was incredible. I could go on forever, but I think it´s too hot to keep writing. Our hotel is wonderful, the food is delicious and plentiful. I´ve made so many new friendships. Thanks so much to everyone for all of your help. I´ll be sure to seize the oppurtunity and experience everything to its fullest. It´s frustrating because I can´t put down what I´m feeling and what we are doing down in writing, it won´t do it justice. Just know I love and miss you and I´m having the BEST and most rewarding time.

Buenos Noches,
XOXO,
Kayla

From: Janet Krzeczkowski, Sir Winston Churchill
Hola!
So far this trip has been absolutely AMAZING! It´s only day 2 and we have experienced more then some people would see in a lifetime! I used to think I knew about poor cultures and how some people in poor conditions had to live, but I had no idea. From appearance and through culture we are all very different from the people here, but we all smile and we all laugh. I love making that connection. We may not be able to communicate with our words but we can with our faces. Visiting the orphanage was by far the best part so far!
To my family: I´m having so much fun, I´m so happy and I´m feeling great! AND, I´m actually enjoying the food!
Love you, miss you, Ciao!
xoxo
Janet

From: Ryan Elliott, E.L. Crossley
Greetings from El Salvador. I would first like to take the chance to assure my worried mother that I am perfectly okay. I am in one piece, and the only part of me that is missing is a part of me that boarded the plane 2 days ago. I can honestly say that the things I have seen in the last 48 hours have changed the way I view things back home. I am still in withdrawl from my guitar, but it is becoming one of the few possesions I miss. I have learned the importance of people over objects. We have known eachother for around 4 months, but the bonds are becoming evident as we share one of our lives most important experiences together. I would like to cap off my first blog post by thanking every single person who helped us get here, it is the experience of a lifetime and we would not be here if it wasn´t for all of you.

So until tomorrow, we are off to build, learn and experience everything we can

Austa La Vista (yes, that was for you Dad)
Ryan

3 comments:

  1. Be sure to write about your day every evening so you won't forget a moment of your experience. I am so proud of all of you. Thank you for being so special. You have already made the world a better place. Love to all S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew,

    Your observation: "It is amazing how nice and natural the beauty has been left, different from Niagara Falls." is astute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an experience! I am glad to see that you are all settling in so well and I look forward to seeing your pictures.

    Take care everyone,
    Rhonda (Andrew's Mom)

    ReplyDelete