Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Day 2

From Jordan milne-
"Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz... Im sleeping, Leave me alone!"

From Eric Bouw-
Hola Mom and Dad,
Yesterday was our first day working on the build site. When we arrived we were surprised to find that the foundation had already been dug. Although I was kind of looking forward to digging cause I enjoy it so much. He began with putting in all the rebar to make the house "earthquake proof". That was the easy part! We then mixed cement for the foundation. It was very different because we mix it on the ground rather than in a wheelbarrow. We carried the cement to the foundation in buckets and poured it by hand . . . I lost count of how many buckets I carried. While the cement dried we carried bricks from where they were stored to where the foundation was. This took the remainder of the day. Tommorrow we start to lay the bricks - - looking forward to that.
Adios, Eric

From Matt Sinan-
Yesterday we started off with a great breakfast with scrambled eggs and bean slop. Afterward, our rides came to bring us to the work site. The worksite was much more than I expected, I was thinking that the worksite would be in some field with the sun blazin' over us, but the setting turned out great, we had shade and a place to sit down to relax. I think the way they do things here is amazing. No one needs fancy levels or expensive tools. That's what Í really like about here: nobody cares about the material you have, they seem like real people, people who just want to connect with you, and enjoy things. Whether it's playing games or just talking. Like Kevin said, "it's not about building a house, it's about connecting with the people, learning their culture. I almost think this is normal now, like this is the way things are, by watching people, how they live. For example, we saw a guy carrying his ice in a small pull wagon, and that's what he had to do to bring his goods to his store. I think this trip shows and teaches us life values, and it's a great thing to learn. I feel like a better person helping those who don't have all the luxury we have.

From Alex Emmerson-
Day 2 started off great; a nice cold shower, nice hot breakfast. We left for the jobsite where we all were greatly impressed - everything is done totally different - - the heat is extreme, but everything is going good. I will talk to you all later.

No comments:

Post a Comment