Thursday, July 2, 2009

Day 4, Janet, Kayla, Andrew and Ryan

From: Andrew Petheram, A.N. Myer
Hola everybody,
Happy Canada Day!! Our 4th day was a rather different day, considering myself and about half the team were under the weather. Since the team was not at its full potential, and the bathroom situation at the worksite is not great, we decided to take the day off. Some of the team went out to the local market yesterday morning and out for lunch, but I decided to stay back and relax at the retreat centre since I was not feeling the greatest. Following my morning and afternoon of sleep, I began to feel pretty much back to normal. I decided to go to the internet cafe with the blog team but while in there, I began to feel sick again. Rosa took me back to the retreat centre. Since they are taking such good care of us here, they immediatly called a doctor for me. About half an hour later the doctor arrived and checked me out. He told me to take a gravol, a tylenol and the prescription medication from home. He also said that I had to take today off. Following his advice I took the pills and went to bed.
Chow, Andrew

From: Janet Krzeczkowski, Sir Winston Churchill
Hola!
Many of our team got sick last night, so we all took the day off from building. I feel so bad for the sick team members and I really hope they feel better soon. Since todays activities were cancelled, we had to improvise. We played baseball in the courtyard with chairs as bases and a tape/paper ball that Carlos made. It was really fun spending most of the day with Carlos because we are starting to communicate better and he makes us all laugh. We also went to the market down the street. WOAH! It was crazy! It was crowded, dark, loud, smelly and awesome. For lunch we had their fast food. It was...interesting. Basically the same, but different. Later we played a game that Carlos taught us and I loved it. I can't wait to build again tomorrow!

Family and Friends:
Mom, Dad, John, Andrew and Alana, If you think the flea market in Florida is busy, just wait til you see the one here. I think it is making me want to become a vegetarian. Tell Lianna that I wear the necklace everyday under my work shirt or in my pack thing. I still want to go to the cottage right after this. I'm not ready to go home. Also, the blog group prints off the replies that you write, so we can read them. If you want to say something I will read it, or tell my friends too cause I won't be on the internet again. I missed everyone today especially knowing you are all together fo Canada Day. Don 't worry, I'm glad I am here, I'm still safe and having the time of my life!
Love you xx
Janet

From: Kayla Kuyvenhoven, Grimsby
Today was an interesting learning experience... It just plain sucked to wake up to hear that some people were not feeling too good. However, the way it was handled was reassuring. Everyone had to meet to check up with the doctor, and all of our team members looked out for eachother. Some of us went to the market and the cathedral. Which was a shocking yet interesting adventure. It was so busy; there were dogs, children, food being made, clothes being sold and fresh food products in buckets and on hooks. All this was happening on either side of me as I walked through a two and a half foot walkway. I loved taking in everything that was going on around me.
Also, today was more of a relaxing day and I realised that the most fun I have is with the best of friends and the simplest of objects. We made a home-made baseball with paper and tape and played a game withj chairs for bases. Later on we played a frisbee game with pieces of re-bar and plastic cups. It is just amazing that the simplest things in life can make you the most happy, and I am glad that realisation has hit me so hard. I am mmissing home, but still loving it here soooo much, and I am feeling great... It is hard to believe we are just under halfway done our trip... Ugh, I would really rather not think about that.
Hope everything is great at home.
Love ya,
Kayla


From: Ryan Elliott, E.L. Crossley
Good Afternoon to our regular readers,
Happy well, belated, Canada Day. I would type out about the day, but it seems Andrew Janet and Kayla have that covered. The day was different, but it amazes me how our team is able to adapt to new circumstances. I must say that I missed the traditional Harold Black Park Canada experience, but I really enjoyed my day yesterday. I will keep my post short today, because I don't want to just restate everyone elses words. I can say that friendships are definatly formed, and growing. We all care for eachother, remind eachother to drink water when we are working hard, and just support eachother. Speaking of water, I never realised how important it is. Tomorrow we are being asked to drink about 8 litres. It seems like a lot, but how we work, it is necessary.

Too my friends and family, I miss every single one of you, and I absolutely love reading all your posts. I am feeling very good, and I am still enjoying every moment here. As much as I want to see you all, I wish this trip would go on forever, and I could just keep building houses. I will see you all in just over a week, and until then, I miss you, and I love you all!
Love, Ryan

P.S. Emily, Jade, make sure the girls on the soccer team aren't slacking! I don't think I will be able to post the picture, but I took it, and I will send it too you when I get home!

13 comments:

  1. Hi Jan, mom and dad here. Hope your team is feeling better. We will go up north first thing Thurs. morning. You don't get back til midnight on Wed. and we don't want to do the drive in the dark - too many deer! Let us know if anyone is getting picked up at the airport - if that is a possibility. Even though you all must miss family and friends, it will be very hard for you to leave. Enjoy every moment. The memories will last forever. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ryan....Everyone at the studio tonight was asking about you all and send best wishes!!! Lori Taylor was saying how wonderful all the posts are and how wonderful it is to read them all.... You are missed...be safe!

    oxox Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. To all the DSBNI ambassadors:
    Hope you are all feeling better by the time you see this. On the lighter side, shit happens!!! I know that you are all doing the best you can under some pretty difficult situations. I am sure I can speak for all here at home when I say how proud we are of you, you've heard it before and I know you'll hear it again.
    Keep yourselves well hydrated, as nourished as possible and enjoy the rest of your adventure.
    Now get back to work.... kidding...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello to all, feel better soon and take good care of each other.
    Kayla so many phone calls from everyone to see how you are - everyone sends their love - I don't think your friends know how to send you messages. Love from all. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello everyone! Sorry to hear that a good portion of your team were ill, that's unfortunate. I'm glad to hear that the doctor is keeping a close eye on everyone.

    Andrew- I hope that you are feeling better now after taking all of the meds we packed. You must be having a tough time getting all those pills down since you hate to swallow them....I hope they have some apple sauce for you...j/k. :) I emailed the blog site to Grandpa and Shari, Jenni/Shannon, Grandma Irene, Cath/Tim, Harry/Cyndi and Sara. They have all been following the blogs and have enjoyed hearing every minute of this adventure. They send their love and tell me how proud they are of you and all of your fellow team mates. Dad and I are so proud of you and your group as well; we are all so touched by this trip and the posts. I tried to catch you on F.B. last night but I couldn't. You were likely still resting. Please get well soon, I feel bad not being able to nurse you back to health as I always do but I am comforted by the fact that you have so many wonderful new friends to take care of you. Again, we miss you soooo much. Lots of love and xoxoxo.....Mom :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning, hoping that the team is feeling better today. Jan, Grandpa, Nana, Bruce and Jen, cousins etc. are all following the blog. Thanks to all of you for sharing your incredible experience with us at home! Everyone sends their love...Alana is taking good care of Flow... we all miss you so very much...love mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Janet, It's Grampa and Nana Dorothy writing . Glad to hear that you are having such a great time. Grampa says that when you return he will have to get you into his workshop to give him a few tips on " Home building!!" We miss you and love you! Love, Grampa and Nana Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ryan: Grandma and I read your blog first thing every morning and really enjoy keeping up with you guys. we are leaving Tuesday morning for east coast so won't see you until we get back but we are looking forward to seeing pictures and talking to you about this adventure. We are proud of all of you. Keep up the good work. Love grandma and grampa

    ReplyDelete
  9. JAN!!! Hola amiga, como estas??? I just got an email my mom that was from your mom about this blog! So it will take me a while to catch up, so far I've only read this post. But it sounds like you are having fun and doing good things and I CAN'T WAIT to hear ALL ABOUT IT. Hopefully we can overlap at Haliburton after you get home.
    Hasta luego!
    -cousin alie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ryan: grandma and I read your blog first thing every morning and really enjoy hearing about what you and the rest of the guys are doing. We leave Tuesday for the east coast so won't see you until you get back. Looking forward to hear about your trip and seeing pictures. Keep up the good work. Grampa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Eric: Dad and I are enjoying reading all the updates from the build.What a great experience you are having. We were sitting at the top of Sulphur Mountain in Alberta looking over the rockies talking about you and the team. We are so proud of all of you. Make sure to take the time to stop, look around, and take it all in. What a difference you are all making! love you,keep safe xoxox mom,dad, Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ryan,
    We will make sure they are not slacking!! We can't wait to see the picture when you get home!

    Emily and Jade

    ReplyDelete
  13. JANET!
    HEY :)

    i miss you !
    come home please?
    well don't cause it sounds like your having to much fun, but still come home lol we can have fun here ;)
    your fasshaa just called me and told me about this blog thing ! i was so excited ahah cause i have no idea what you are doing down there, and i was excited to write you letters.=)
    sounds like your trip is amazing, i wish i could say that same about here.. but as usual your not missing anything .. aha
    boring old st catharines.
    I keep forgetting that your gone, when im bored i just think ohh ill text jan or something but then i realize that you are out of the country... lol
    weird.
    i haven't done anything exciting lol so sadly i dont have any good stories..but i'm sure you have tons and i can't wait until you come home and i can hear them !
    KEEP BUILDING ! MISS YOU LOTS ! (L)

    -ginn
    PS.. i think i left alot of clothing at your house.. aha but don't know where... aha ill just check it out when you are HOME ! :)

    XOXOX

    ReplyDelete