Friday, July 3, 2009

Day 5 Andrew Janet Kayla and Ryan

From Andrew Petheram, A.N. Myer
Hola everybody,
My fifth day in El Salvador was not a very productive day as far as the build site goes...Since I was sick yesterday the doctor advised me to stay back at the retreat center today and rest. So I basically layed around and watched movies on Ryan´s iPod while the others slaved away all day on the house. I am told that I will be very surprised with the progress when I return tomarrow!!! Following dinner we did a couple of team activities then I played euchre with a couple of the leaders. My day of relaxing payed off though I feel totally normal now... Cant wait to get back to building tomarrow!!!!!!!!!! Thats all for now, I miss you all!!!


Love,
Andres (Andrew)


From: Janet Krzeczkowski, Sir Winston Churchill
Hola,
Today we were back at the work site. The house is looking great! It was a super hot day, I learned that I have to drink more water! I talked with the family kids today. They were laughing at me when I didn't understand, it was really funny. We all wrote our names in the dirt and I showed them my long last name. They couldn't believe how complicated it was! I love how they try to teach me Spanish and try to tell me things when I have no idea most of the time :).
Family and friends: I got some CD's from the market! Mom, all of my clothes, gloves, boots, etc... are perfect and lasting! I am still have the best time but I miss you guys!
Love you! xx
Janet

From: Kayla Kuyvenhoven, Grimsby
Today was kind of a stressful day. I think the excitement caught up with me and my guard was let down. The day at the worksite was the most tiring yet, but the DSBNi team had eachothers backs the entire time. The thing that hit me hardest today however, not a physical injury or sickness, but a letter that arrived at our worksite from an elderly lady down the street. She apologized if her letter was inappropriate, but wanted to talk to someone because her house was poor, old, and falling apart. If it was not already clerar to all of us why we were here...this helped me understand why. It's storming out right now; Salvadorean storms are crazy, I love it, so I'm going to watch and enjoy how beautiful a storm can be.
Goodnight, Love you,
Still missing you!
Kayla

From: Ryan Elliott, E.L. Crossley
Hey everyone,
I cannot believe that it is already the 6th day we have been here. I try not to think about the fact that this means the trip is half over. I am still enjoying every second, and when Kevin and Mike told all of you that we would be changed people by the end of the trip, they weren't kidding. I am still Ryan Elliott, but the Ryan Elliott that left a little under a week ago, has seen more in that time span, then most people do in a lifetime. I really wish that everytime I wanted something, and I didn't get it, that I could take it back. The guilt that comes over me, while watching the children play with the bricks, or dig in the middle of the dirt road is austounding to me. I'm sure a lot of people think that this feeling won't last, but the things I have seen, the people I have met, and the friendships I have made will stay with me forever. Don't worry, I am not going to come home and sell all my stuff and live with nothing. I am just going to be far more appreciative of the things I do have. The thing that has become the most evident to me, is how much I take my friends and family for granted. I miss every single one of you, like you wouldn't believe. I am also going to miss everyone I am sharing this experience with, because when you see somethings that we have seen together, you become friends really quickly. We are going away for the weekend, and I do not think there is Internet where we are going, so the next blog post will be Monday night. Be prepared for an action packed blog, but until then, goodnight.
I love and miss you all!
Ryan

14 comments:

  1. Hi Janet, it's Alana. i miss you a lot but i'm glad you are having a good time.I just learned where el salvador is on the map.and that's way too far away for me.I am not used to that:)i am very excited to see you again and so excited to go to the cottage! you might be happy to know that the molou is still open so someone must have bought it:) cousin Alie is coming up to the cottage too. i miss you a lot and can't wait to see you again. keep having fun and be safe! Love you lots.
    Love,Alana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Everyone, and of course you Kayla:
    If I'm not mistaken.. isn't it time for some R&R for the builders from the DSBNI. I hope by now that everyone is feeling healthy, from your letters, I can tell you're all happy. Glad to hear the house is going so well. You all deserve a bit of a break so ENJOY your weekend, stay safe and sit back and reflect a bit on the past week and look forward to the week ahead. I know I am. Can't wait to see you again Kayla.
    Lots o love
    The Old Fart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss you too, love you so much. Have neverending fun this weekend with your wonderful friends, you all deserve it.
    Travel safe,love to all.
    Kayla everyone sends their love. I read your notes to Grandpa everyday. We all miss you but are so proud and want your time to last, live every moment to the fullest. Kisses from Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's wonderful news to hear that the house is coming along nicely. Have a great weekend everyone!!!

    Andrew- It was great to chat live with you on facebook tonight. I'm relieved to hear that you're feeling better and were able to return to the job site again. I know how hard that must have been for you to stay at the retreat and not help with the build for those 2 days.
    I hope you have a fabulous weekend, you guys/gals deserve it. Stay safe, we miss you so much and we look forward to hearing lots of stories & seeing all the pics when you return next week. Love Mom, Dad and Kristin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yo jan! ok, i am all caught up on this blog now - awesome! I talked to yo momma on the phone today and i'll probably spend at least a day (maybe a night) with you dudes in haliburton after you get back. so then i can hear all your stories and we can speak spanglish till we annoy everybody. :) see you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey janet,

    i hope your having a terrific time!
    just created a blog so i could say we all miss you in st. kitts and come home soon! even though when you come home your leaving to your cottage :(

    hope your having a great time miss you lots

    andrew xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Ryan, glad to hear all is well and that you are having such a positive experience. We are very blessed to live in such a great country. We indeed won the birthplace lottery because it could very well be us living in a struggling country. Love ya, be safe. Randy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ryan....

    Enjoy your time off! We are glad you can take some time to see more of the country and relax at the beach! 4 more sleeps until I get to see you again... that sounds so lame...sorry!
    We miss you... Dad is going out for a ride today....We have finally gotten some sunshine...I think it has rained since you left..
    We look forward to hearing about your beach adventures on Monday!!!!
    PS. The Ballet Etc...team lost 2-0 but played really well I am told, and Jade did not turn from the ball!!! lol!

    Love from..Mom, Dad & Evan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Janet,

    It sounds like you are having a great adventure!! Your mom has filled us in on everything!

    All the best,

    Uncle John and Aunt Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are so proud of the DSBNI team. What an experience for all of you. Love, Kim's Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  11. "The thing that has become the most evident to me, is how much I take my friends and family for granted."

    ahem.
    miss ya ry <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ryan

    This sounds like an amazing trip!
    Emily and Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Janet, glad you are doing so well. You will be pleased to know yor parents ran the stairs at Lock 3 6x!! they are amazing. Enjoy the rest of your time there, it will fly by.

    Karina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Guys
    Hope your weekend adventure was fun and restful, you all deserve it. Can't wait to hear about it from all of you on the blogg.
    I love reading your comments every evening, I can't wait to get to my computer to see what you have written.
    Love to all. Shirley K

    ReplyDelete